We’re in the tail end of the growing season here, in South Florida. Farms are busting at the seams with delicious, fresh produce, ready to be harvested and consumed.
Unfortunately, there’s very little place for these fruits and veggies to go, now that restaurants are closed, markets are limited, and we are all instructed to stay at home. WPLG Channel 10 ran a story about how this situation is affecting our local farmers.
Farmers are taking food safety very seriously, and are adhering to precautions to keep our community safe. They just want to move their food into places where it can be readily used and enjoyed… not go to waste and get thrown away.
There’s absolutely nothing better than freshly harvested produce, picked at the height of the season. We forget how good food can taste when we get used to always purchasing it at the grocery stores. It’s often packaged days or weeks before you buy it and shipped across the country while ripening.
If you haven’t tasted freshly picked produce lately, prepare to have your mind blown!
Plus, I imagine…. we can all use a little weekend outing and some fresh air right about now.
For a real treat and a worthwhile field trip this weekend, visit LNB Groves farm store in Kendall for their out-of-this-world rainbow smoothie. (You can thank me later). Visit their Instagram for hours and address.
Where to Find Locally Grown Produce in South Florida While Social Distancing
Here’s where else you can find locally grown produce in South Florida. Skip the grocery store stress and crowds, and #supportlocal.
This resource is time-sensitive. Please remember… this information of availability and delivery schedules changes week-to-week, so be sure to follow the individual farms via social media, their websites, and get on their e-newsletter distribution so that you can stay up to date.
Edible South Florida will be updating news on farm offerings regularly, so you can also check their site for the most recent information.
Check out our recipes here and at dellabowls.com for quick, delicious ideas for how to prepare your locally grown produce. One that is particularly versatile is this dragonfruit smoothie bowl.
Little River Cooperative
Visit www.littlerivercoopertive.com for a complete availability list and order form.
- Pick up from an un-manned produce cooler in Biscayne Park.
- Minimum order of $30 to minimize the number of people at cooler.
- Order Friday for Saturday & Sunday pick-up.
- Order Monday for Tuesday & Wednesday pick-up.
- Once an order is placed, you will receive an email with pick up instruction.s
Tiny Farm and Teena’s Pride
Delivery available to Miami & Miami Beach. See “Homestead & Redlands” section below for more info on these farms.
Urban Oasis Project
- Virtual store opens Wednesday at 9 a.m.
- Inventory is live so it’s first come, first served.
- Orders close Thursday night at 9 p.m.
- Vegetables are processed and packed on Friday.
Current Pick up locations and days are:
- Locations: Deliveries only in Miami Dade County on Saturdays and Mondays. $10 fee.
Allapattah/ Radiate Lab/ Main/ Saturday 10AM-1PMfrom 10AM-1PM at 2134 NW 24th Ave Miami FL 33142 (pickup spot is on NW 21st Terrace, best accessed from 25th Ave off of 20th St.)- look for the Farmers Market signs and your friendly BoxGreens and Urban Oasis Project farmers for direction. Show us your order number and we’ll bring it to your car.
Southwest/ near Tropical Park/ UOP old warehouse (Saturday 3-4:30)
Vizcaya Village Sundays 10-11AM. On the West side of 3251 S Miami Ave
Market Mondays/Arsht Center Valet Ramp/ 4-6PM Monday
Webstore: OPEN 9AM Wednesday until 9PM Thursday, order only for that weekend and Monday.
Webstore: OPEN 9PM Friday until 9PM Sunday order only for Monday.
No pre-orders beyond a few days can be accepted.
You can pay right away through Square, Venmo, Paypal, or Zelle once you place your order.
SNAP Customers can pay onsite or at pickup, and our matching program will cover half of your bill as long as half of your purchase is Florida Fruits and veggies. They are doubling SNAP benefits, now for 100% of your total order–you can just pay at pickup.
Follow Urban Oasis on Instagram, Facebook, and their website for updated weekly delivery schedules.
Deliveries are pre-paid only, with a delivery fee of $10. There is a minimum order of $50.
Payments can be made via:
- Venmo @ urbanoasisproject
- Cash App $arthurfriedrich
- Paypal [email protected]
- Zelle – [email protected] or 786-427-4698
(14311 N Rd, Loxahatchee, FL 33470 SwankSpecialtyProduce.com)
Included in sack (10 items): 2 lettuce mixes, 2 raw cooking/juicing greens, strawberries, tomato’s and other seasonal swank vegetables. The weight of the sack is about 10-12 lbs. (Enough food to share with a friend or feed a family of 4 for a week.)
To reserve, email Jodi Swank [email protected]
Check out their Instagram for updates on Farmers Market Days & Swank Sack Veggies
Restaurants offering produce (and more!) pick-ups
Local restaurants have turned into groceries to support Florida farms, dairies and ranches.
All Day Miami: 1035 N Miami Avenue, Miami
- Order at alldayaway.com 24/7
- Schedule pick-up or delivery from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Threefold Cafe: 141 Giralda Ave. Coral Gables, FL
- Visit their website for info on pick-up locations and delivery options.
- Baskets and menus are fluid and change often.
- All online orders require a minimum of $50.
Chugs Diner: 3444 Main Hwy Suite 21, Miami, FL 33133
- Chugs Diner offers a daily grocery smorgasbord of meats, dairy, local farm produce, meal kits, baked goods, and more!
- Follow on Instagram for daily offerings and grocery lists.
Harpke Family Farm: 2781 SW 36th St., Dania Beach, FL 33312
“South Florida customers can order some of our most popular products for next-day pickup on the farm. We’re also partnering with some local farms to bring you a wider variety of items in one place. We focus on products that are staples for home cooking and harvest everything to order. You can’t get taste and freshness like this at the grocery store!”
- Order online and pick up at the farm the next day.
- No human contact required!
- 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday – Saturday.
Homestead & Redlands
19101 SW 147 Ave Miami 33187 | teenaspridecsa.com
- Drive-through, open-air produce stand is open Saturday & Sunday, 12 p.m.- 4.pm.
- Heirloom tomatoes, zucchini & squash, greens, herbs, eggplants, shelling beans, okra, acorn and spaghetti squashes, onions and more!
- Farmstand is set up for distancing and customers cannot touch or get near produce for sale.
- Teena’s CSA delivers weekly to locations in Miami and Miami Beach. Visit their website for more info.
Bee Heaven Farm: 19000 SW 264th St, Redland
- Sign up to receive a thoughtfully curated CSA veggie box every other Friday. They deliver to pick up sites in Palmetto Bay, Coconut Grove, El Portal, Key Largo, Tavernier, and Islamorada for a modest fee. Delivery boxes are not customizable.
- Want to customize your box? Choose the Farm Choice CSA option, available ONLY at the farm, where you can choose half the items in your box and shop for additional items from their stand.
- Order à la carte on Monday afternoon/evenings here, every other week. Pick up your prepaid order at the farm for no additional fee or at our CSA pickup sites for a modest fee.
- Shop in person at our farm stand Fridays from 2 p.m.- 6 p.m. Enter at the WEST gate and proceed to the rear. Please respect the farmers’ privacy and stick to the posted schedule.
- Please email to arrange for special needs.
Accursio Farm: 1225 NW 2nd St, Homestead
- Updated info posted weekly with availability on Facebook.
- Boxed Vegetable Sale | $10 per box
- Saturday, 6am-9am
- All customers will stay in cars. You can stay in your vehicle and workers will put the boxes in your trunk or in the back of your truck. You have to bring the exact amount of cash to avoid any change.
This Saturday they will have squash, zucchini, cucumbers, beans, tomato, and blueberries. All are $10 except blueberries are $20. Cash only.
Redland Community Farm & Market: 12690 SW 280 St. Homestead
- Monday-Friday, 10am- 6pm
- Visit them on Facebook for updated info each week
- Offering pre-packed boxes or build-your-own-box from the available items.
- Build-your-own: order a minimum of $30.
- Delivery to limited areas for an additional $10. (If you’d like your order delivered please email us first and ask if we can deliver to your area)
- Please note: no deliveries to buildings at this time, only houses.
- Pick up your order at a North Miami Beach location on Saturday afternoon between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. for no additional fee (enter the promo code “Pick Up” on checkout to waive the delivery fee).
- After placing your order they will send you an email with pick up instructions that include social distancing etiquette.