April 22nd, 2020 is Earth Day!
What can we do this Earth Day to celebrate, learn about, and honor our Mother earth?
We know that this Earth Day is a little different from those we’ve had in the past. However, this year makes 50 Years of celebrating Earth Day!
To show our appreciation for Mother Earth, we compiled a list (with the help of our local partners) of some things to do to celebrate Earth Day 2020 with your Quarantine Crew.
They’re hosting a number of online activities. See their Facebook page for more resources and links.
Outreach Coordinator Collin Schladweiler suggests:
- First and foremost, get out and enjoy nature in your local neighborhoods (of course practicing social distancing).
- Visit local waterways and take a hard look at the surroundings to see if anything seems off, like algae blooms, oil slicks, or possible pollution inputs, and report this to Miami Waterkeeper.
- Keep an eye out for protected wildlife and send it into Miami Waterkeeper! Watch for protected sea turtles and the endangered smalltooth sawfish. These reports help researchers to increase protections for these animals.
Executive Director Dara Schoenwald suggests:
- Do individual solo cleanups by yourself or with your family in your neighborhood.
- Look to VolunteerCleanUp.org for guidance on how to do this safely.
Chairman Seth Bloomgarden suggests:
- Pledge to use your own refillable water bottle – always!
- Decline plastic utensils and packaging when ordering take out and delivery.
- Support our Ocean Friendly Restaurants in Miami. These restaurants have really stepped up their efforts towards delicious and environmentally sustainable take-out options.
- Practice the mantra – Reduce / Reuse / Recycle – here’s a little song by our friend Jack Johnson to help folks remember.
- Take some time to make your voice heard by our elected officials on environmental issues that you care about. Believe it or not, they actually listen. Here is a place to start.
The Doral Yard Team
- Work in your own garden or yard.
- Find a digital event to participate in Earth Day 2020 – Map.
- Support your local farms. Buy local.
- Celebrate with the Florida Museum of Natural History on their Virtual: Earth Day Celebration.
- Join Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden – Online Homeschool Workshop featuring Connect to Protect on 4/22 from 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Join Frost Science Museum – Virtual LIVE: Little Steps to Make Big Changes on 4/22 from 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
We saved the best for last…..
Our own Chef Julie will be offering an Earth Day edition of her della bowls meal-prep and bowl-
building class on Earth Day (4/22) at 6 pm EST. Learn how to be more eco-friendly in your ingredient selections. Get your tickets here.